Wow I can’t believe I’m now in my mid 20’s eeek! I remember when my brother turned 25 and was freaking out about his age. I’m going to embrace it and after all, age is just a number. When I was 20 I didn’t think my 5 year plan would have been as exciting as it has been which makes me even more excited for the next 5 years! I live in the moment everyday, like it was my last and it’s made me a very happy person. I know it’s not for everyone but I was very unhappy at 19 and after talking about what used to get me down I realised it was the fear of the future and the unknown. I’ve decided to embrace the unknown and it’s made the last five years of my life be my best. I never thought I could be as happy as I am today turning 25.
Now, let’s get real for a few minutes. The last few years haven’t been the easiest and I’ve had to make some decisions that have been tough and could have ended in tears but to succeed in life you have to make decisions, good and bad. I want to share with you a few tips I’ve picked up on the way and things I tell myself everyday that make me who I am.
1. You can do anything you dream of. You are the sailor of your own ship.
2. 5 year plans actually do work out. Remember that interview for your postgrad when you said you wanted to work for Benefit Cosmetics Marketing Team.
3. Going full circle really does work! Quoting Oprah on this.
4. Live in the now. You didn’t do this for a long time but now you enjoy the moment. Don’t let negative energy take up your time or consume you.
5. Maybe staying back a year in school might have helped. University at 17 was a struggle but you made it through, even if all you ate were fried eggs, beans and a lot of pasta.
6. Love hurts but it is totally worth it. Crying for days over a broken heart isn’t the end of the world. You’ll pick yourself back up and be a stronger person that they never knew existed. Then fall in love all over again with someone even better.
7. Don’t let yourself be manipulated. Being inside the bubble isn’t all it seems and sometimes you have to learn the hard way about getting out. People also won’t understand why you wanted to get out but time will show true colours.
8. Never ever get a fringe. You thought you could rock the Katy Perry look from ‘I kissed a girl’ but it really it’s best we don’t go there.
9. Not getting blonde highlights was the best decision you ever made. Wait no that was mums decision but that leads me to my next point.
10. Always listen to your mum. She’s always right you just have to face it. She’ll become your best friend and every moment with her gets even better.
11. It’s always the little details that matter. Happiness Lies In The Small Things
12. Being afraid of tweezing eyebrows saved you a lot of embarrassing moments. Let’s just not take out your old passport.
13. Travel all the time. Go on your own and be as adventurous as you can. You have always been the adventurous one in the family so embrace it.
14. Everyone you meet knows something you don’t. Never stop learning. Every person you meet will share a story they love, listen.
15. Some people will bring out the worst in you. Some the best. And others, the most. Hold on tightly to the ones who bring out the most.
16. Someone will always tell you are not good enough. Instead of giving them the middle finger show them exactly who you are and that you don’t need to change.
17. Kill them will kindness, because sometimes that’s all you can do.
18. Always remember your friends. They are the girls you call when it’s all over or you need a good rant. Be there to listen to them too.
19. Real adults make phone calls so always call before a text. This is something I’m trying to do more of!
20. Your 16 year old self was wild!! Thank god she calmed down.
21. A tattoo will be on your body forever and the good thing is you knew that.
22. You can take the girl out of Cavan but not the Cavan out of the girl. That communion money you left in the credit union is still there, 18 years later.
23. Your job should bring you to life, not make you dread the day.
24. You are responsible for your own happiness. If you ain’t happy, do something about it!
25. The best is yet to come. Don’t wish away time and enjoy the adventure one day at a time.
Now off to celebrate turning 25 in style!
Love Kate x
Outfit is all Primark/Penneys.
Photos by Brid O’Donovan